Thursday 30 September 2010

The Engine that won't start...

how do you go from "I just don't feel like it... boo :( " (my facebook update a half hour ago) to absolutely raring to go?

It's been a really hard last week to ten days... extended PMS I reckon, because I can't see any other reason. I'm so exhausted every night my head hits the pillow, but I wake up in the early hours and sleep poorly till the morning. So most days I'm sleepy all day and simply not up to any of my workouts. Yes, even my easy runs are a trial, a test of my willpower, a routine 5km turned into a mental tug of war. And... have I mentioned this already - I just keep EATING! This is crazy PMS, definitely not my usual.

So I'm trying now to get properly psyched up for my tempo run after work. It's mid afternoon and my eyelids are drooping. In my head, I'm walking through all the reasons I'm such a lucky girl - I'm young, healthy, free... I get to go and run... I have a dream to accomplish... I do because I can! I try to focus on my goal of hitting the high 30's in mileage this week... I think about my races coming up.

... but I'd still prefer to curl up in bed right now... seriously, I cannot be bothered.

So the usual tact won't work...
Instead thoughts running through my head are much shorter-term - finish this tempo run and I won't need to do any strength and core work... (chomp chomp, chocolate is good! mmm...)... get through today and I get 2 days off/easy... finish up at the gym and I can go home and go to sleep.

I feel ever so slightly better now... the chocolate especially helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment