Wednesday 8 September 2010

A Small everyday Victory...

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- Ronald E. Osborn


So it's been a while... Very glad to say that the running has kept up even though the blogging hasn't.

Today is a tough day... I'm aching (my upper hamstrings - from stability ball heel digs and/or superman that I did on Monday and Tuesday) and grumpy... and it's Speedwork day - I'm going to do 3-4 mile repeats in 9-9:30 at the gym. So the quote is a good one to focus on - difficult is good, challenge is growth, going beyond is where I want to be.

All in all, training has taken off nicely this year. I now run 4 days per week, do 3 sessions of core/strength work, plus cross-training in between and 1-2 days of tennis. I'm up to 30+km per week and (touch wood) have kept quite injury free except for niggly knee pains a couple of times.

I'm now working towards -
NB Tai Mei Tuk 10km race in October
Unicef Run for Charity Half Marathon at the end of November

And I'm hoping to do the Half in under 2:10... as a half-marathon virgin, I don't actually have any idea if this is do-able or if I'm going to completely smash the time. I walk the fine balance between wanting to push it (2 hours?) and holding myself back so I don't get injured or (worse still) disappointed. There is some fear, but I would like to think that there is much humility... I trust the hard work I'm putting in, I trust my body to do the best it can, I trust my mind to make the appropriate decisions, I trust my will to push me as far as I need to go, I trust time to give me the progress that I earn, I trust the process and leave the result up to the heavens to gift me.

Today is a hard day... life is not just about making decisions but about managing them daily. Today I choose to turn my back on the little demons taunting me and instead aim to do my best.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Post-script:

I did 12km with 4 mile repeats (1.6 km in 9:28, 9:02, 8:56, 8:31). Upper hams screamed at me through warm up and my first repeat, and again while I was cooling down and stretching. Tonight calls for more stretching and tomorrow, I may suffer the consequences. But today - I won a small victory, in my head first and therefore on the mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment